27 October 2006

 

Clarence Rosario: October 27, 2006 -- "Shake That Ass"

[taps mike] Is this thing on?

Well, since Stephen left the keys in the ignition, I might as well go for a joyride. When the cat's away, and all that.

"Shake That Ass" by The Lovemakers
RealPlayer
Video

Ever since I heard this Oakland 4-piece, I've been evangelically trying to spread their word. Fits with the theme of this site. I've seen them live 3 times -- at Slim's, The Bottom of the Hill, and Bimbo's -- and they are in my top 4* bands to see live. Why?
  1. Musically, they're tight as Hell. They've been described as "sexually energized dance rock". Their first single, "Prepare For The Fight", made me worry that they were just a little gimmicky. Not so. They can bring it. Lisa's a killer on the violin, and their drummer wails. While a lot of their lyrics are fanciful, "Falling Apart" shows their serious side.
  2. They're performers. Their live show is awesome, and they get into it with a sincere form of theatricality that is infectious. The crowd at Slim's chanted "Let's Go Oakland!" to get the band out for an encore. Not bad for a San Francisco crowd.
  3. They're smart. They've already done two solid club remixes of "Prepare For The Fight" (I own one on vinyl). They took it upon themselves to get in on the mashup craze with an awesome, self-produced mashup of them with 50 Cent. They have one of the best band merch t-shirts I've seen.
  4. Lisa Light is hot. I can almost overlook the fact that she went to Stanfurd.
Besides, you've gotta love a band that sings:

You can't have my love
Take my body
You can have anything you want
If you shake that ass for me.

* The other 4? The Beastie Boys, Stereolab, Superchunk.

Comments:
Ok, I've been remiss. Trying to make a post today but the darn thing won't publish.

As for The Lovemakers, I have a few comments:

1) Is that Miles?
2) Not so hot (he should leave his shirt on).
3) Is that the bassline from Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal?
4) I could see where they might fun live.

Check out Brazillian Girls, and the live version of their song "Pussy". My guess is it's similar party type groove - though different musically.
 
Thought I posted the other day.

Glad to see the resurrection.

And I'm afraid of any band called Brazillian Girls who sing a song called "Pussy". The song should probably be called "Sorry Pussy" if they really are "brazillian."

Sorry. Couldn't help it.
 
I totally screwed that joke up. It was supposed to say "Sore Pussy" not "Sorry Pussy"{she says shaking her head}.

I'm definitely not playing my "A" game.
 
Thanks for the link
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?