01 October 2006

 

October 1, 2006

"Sunnyside of the Street" by The Pogues
Yahoo Music Jukebox
Rhapsody
Lyrics Freak


I've been meaning to write this post for at least a week. Every time we get in the car young Walker pipes up from his car seat in the back and says "Sunnyside of the Street daddy!, I want to hear Sunnyside of the Street". I usually don't mind. The CD is always in the car, the Pogues are great, and this seems like just another one of their slightly sarcastic odes to immigration and USA. I even figured that the name was a reference to Sunnyside, Queens - a very common destination for Irish immigrants. But then I looked up the lyrics.

The actual words don't help with understanding what the song is about, but among the choicest nuggets are:

"So I saw that train
And I got on it
With a heartful of hate
And a lust for vomit."

And...

"As my mother wept it was then I swore
To take my life as I would a whore."

So the dilemma is, do I continue to play the song for Walker, or get all puritan and stick to the Clancy Brothers? Not really a dilemma - I couldn't understand Shane McGowan's slurred growl and I've been listening to that song for 15 years. Maybe in another 15 Walker will be able to explain it to me.


Comments:
Gotta love a band that kicks out Shane McGowan for being too much of a drunk. I mean, seriously, how drunk do you have to be to get kicked out of an Irish band full of drunks? Pretty friggin' drunk.
 
To be fair, it was the booze AND the smack that got him thrown out. Also, they're back together again and touring (because you really can't hold it against the guy).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?