11 December 2006

 

Clarence Rosario: December 11, 2006 -- "Poncho and Lefty"

"Poncho and Lefty", by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard
iTunes
Lyrics

Curiously enough, I just couldn't get this song outta my head this morning. A definite blast from the past, and it reminds me of living in Texas when I was in gradeschool. My father was the GM of a country music radio station at the time. And while I can't recall my father ever actually being interested in music that much, I do remember this song from my youth, playing on the radio. Along with David Allen Coe, "Wildfire", Johnny Cash and Hank Williams, Jr.

Hard to tell what the song is about. Sure, a couple of desperados named Poncho and Lefty, one of which appears to double-cross the other and then have to live with it. The chorus was the kicker:

All the Federales, they say
They could have had him any day
They only let him slip away
Out of kindness I suppose

Anyway, Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard do an amazing duet on this tune, and it's kind of haunting.

Oh, and the reason it even came up? I lost this weekend's Yahoo! fantasy football matchup to a team in my fantasy league called Poncho & Lefty. I didn't get it until this morning.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?